We understand that the beginning of SY20-21 is different than any we have experienced. Thank you for your support as we work together to navigate through this uncharted journey.
We are just one week away from launching our school year. As you know, the health department, along with State Superintendent of Instruction Hoffman, have released parameters that should be met in order for public schools to open for in-person instruction. At this time, zero counties in Arizona meet the established criteria.
Therefore, we are starting the school year with all students learning at home with our own DVA educators assigned to classes. Notification of the switch to at-home learning was posted on our website and sent to parents on Tuesday, August 4.
Teachers have been preparing materials your child will use at home. Providing math books, reading books, and a variety of supplies to be used at home will save printing for parents and help create a balance of time spent on digital programs and non-screen time for our Eagles. On August 6, the list of “at home” supplies to assist with learning was posted and shared.
Many parents/guardians have shared that they purchased iPads or laptops this summer in anticipation of continued distance learning. However, if you need to borrow a Chromebook for use at home, you are able to reserve one. The link to reserve a Chromebook was posted, and shared, on August 6. Our IT staff is cleaning and preparing devices to be picked up during Meet and Greet for those who have reserved them.
Meet and Greet appointments are scheduled for August 12-13, from 11 AM-1 PM and 4 PM-6 PM both days. Parents/guardians were sent a link to sign up for their preferred time to meet the teacher. Meet and Greet is limited to the students and 1-2 parents/guardians. Masks are required and social distancing will be practiced. If you have not yet received the link to sign up, please contact the office (928-314-1102) and we would be happy to assist.
Before coming on campus for Meet and Greet, please ask yourself the following 3 questions:
1. Have you recently been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19?
2. Have you had a fever in the last 24 hours?
3. Do you have any new cough or shortness of breath, chills, muscle aches, headache, sore throat, any new loss of sense of smell or taste, diarrhea?
If your answer is “yes” to any of the above questions, please plan to stay home and arrange a video Meet and Greet with the teacher.
Arizona schools have been directed by the Governor and AZ Department of Education to provide free on-site support services, for students who need them, beginning on Monday, August 17th.
- DVA is offering a safe space (The Nest), for those students who are unable to work from home. Eagles will be provided a secure, supervised environment to complete class assignments. The safe space is NOT teacher-led instruction. Students will log in to their class Zoom meetings and assignments with their classroom teachers throughout the day. Breaks and a time for lunch will be provided. Students may either purchase a prepackaged lunch (price based on lunch eligibility form) or may bring their own lunch from home. Students will need to bring their own snacks and a refillable water bottle on a daily basis.
- The Nest will be open during regular school hours; 7:45AM-2:50PM on full days and 7:45AM-12:15PM on early release days. Eagles are required to wear a face covering and are expected to wear their DVA uniforms when on campus.
- All students attending The Nest will arrive and be dropped off through our Car Rider Pro queue in the back of the school and will be directed by a staff member to their designated learning space. Gates will be open from 7:40-7:55AM for drop off and 2:40-3:00PM for pick up on regular days and 12:05-12:25 on early release days. There will be no access or student drop off/pick up in front of the school, the school office, or the walker gate during the designated drop off/pick up times.
- Please use the following link if you would like to reserve a spot in The Nest for your child/children: https://forms.gle/MWhydjrweKkGBkwP9 .
- Please contact the office with any further questions.
Just a reminder of our schedule for our first week: (Short day schedule will be used all week. There are no classes scheduled after 12:15 PM)
Monday, August 17: Kindergarten only
Tuesday, August 18: Kindergarten, First grade, Second grade
Wednesday, August 19: All grade levels
Thursday, August 20: All grade levels
Friday, August 21: All grade levels
Please continue to reference our website for updates. We are looking forward to a “fun-tastic” year with our Eagles!